This very moment only lasts as long as the breath we have to live it and beyond that nothing is promised.
The moment between that next unpromised breath is called the future. This future is something we have no control over but is what we leave for those left behind when we are gone. In most cases, this is our children. These are the recipients of the future we leave them whatever that may look like.
In today’s world we have lost sight of the future we are leaving our kids.
It shouldn’t surprise us though because as the world thrust itself down the Slip and Slide of individualism and self promotion there is little time or energy to think about what our selfish lives leave in it’s wake.
Instead of leaving our kids a healthy legacy to look to as an example we are leaving them the residue of a life scraped for every last morsel spent on ourself. Our kids are choking on our life exhaust and are gasping for air as they live their own.
Here is some of our life’s second hand smoke they are choking on:
- Marriages – Parents we are leaving over 50% of our kids with the stain of divorce to deal with and overcome in their relationships. Even as Christians they will now have to wrestle with what the Bible says about marriage and divorcee and what we’ve taught them through our actions. We need to leave our kids a better future.
- Finances – Adults are leaving the next generation saddled with more debt than the world has ever seen. Cost of living, buying groceries, owning a home, and even student loans for college will be more difficult than ever before because of the decisions we are making now. We need to leave our kids a better future.
- Addictions – We have found a way to become addicted to more and more things every day. Gone are the days of “simple” drugs and alcohol addiction because now we’ve added the complexity of social media, prescription drugs, pornography, cell phones, sports, and even our kids! We need to leave our kids a better future.
- Individualism – Never before has the world been more focused on themselves. Reality TV, plastic surgery, Twitter followers, Facebook friends, and even Youtube hits all are two thumbs pointing back to who we think is most important. “This guy”. We need to leave our kids a better future.
- Spiritualism – Our world has diluted itself into a spiritual soup that believes in nothing and everything at the same time in order to maximize our happiness. Right and wrong our now relative to the greater position of “only if you think so”. The God of the Bible has had to share the stage with the god we want Him to be and our world slowly fades the True God into the background of our lives. We need to leave our kids a better future.
My prayer is that we all can break out of the cocoon of “me” just long enough to truly examine what is being left in our wake. As Christians, we need to decide now that we want our kids to have a strong marriage to model, a financial pattern to mirror, a healthy balance of life, a value of loving others more than ourself, and a life anchored, centered, and unwavering around the God of the Bible.
Then and only then may the words of Solomon ring true in our life and the future of our children.
“My son, pay attention to what I say;
listen closely to my words.
Do not let them out of your sight,
keep them within your heart;
for they are life to those who find them
and health to a man’s whole body.
Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.
Put away perversity from your mouth;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm.
Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.” – Proverbs 4:20-27
Don’t allow yourself to get caught up in what the world wants your life to look like and let yourself get overwhelmed with what God wants your life to be.
If we allow God to do that, we are sure to leave a brighter, cleaner, prosperous future for our children that won’t leave them gagging.