“An evasive eye is a sign of trouble ahead,
but an open, face-to-face meeting results in peace.”
Proverbs 10:10 (MSG)
I’ve found that the eyes can tell you a lot about a person.
Have you ever talked to someone whose eyes are darting around like they are looking for a sniper somewhere? I know I have and as an “eye contact guy” it drives me crazy. There are times that I just need eyeball to eyeball contact so I can know you hear me and, as my African friends like to say, that “we are together”.
What a person does with their eyes can also tell you a lot about them.
Richard Bandler and John Grinder in the book “Frogs Into Princess: Neuro Lingistics Programming” found 6 Visual Accessing Cues related to the direction some looks with their eyes and I found it fascinating.
- Up and to the Left Indicates: Visually Constructed Images If you asked someone to “Imagine a purple buffalo”, this would be the direction their eyes moved in while thinking about the question as they “Visually Constructed” a purple buffalo in their mind.
- Up and to the Right Indicates: Visually Remembered Images If you asked someone to “What color was the first house you lived in?”, this would be the direction their eyes moved in while thinking about the question as they “Visually Remembered” the color of their childhood home.
- To the Left Indicates: Auditory Constructed If you asked someone to “Try and create the highest the sound of the pitch possible in your head”, this would be the direction their eyes moved in while thinking about the question as they “Auditorily Constructed” this this sound that they have never heard of.
- To the Right Indicates: Auditory Remembered If you asked someone to “Remember what their mother’s voice sounds like “, this would be the direction their eyes moved in while thinking about the question as they “Auditorily Remembered ” this sound.
- Down and to the Left Indicates: Feeling / Kinesthetic If you asked someone to “Can you remember the smell of a campfire? “, this would be the direction their eyes moved in while thinking about the question as they used recalled a smell, feeling, or taste.
- Down and To the Right Indicates: Internal Dialog This is the direction of someone eyes as they “talk to themselves”.
Law enforcement, and mother’s trying to see who ate the last cookie, use these cues to detect lying. Look to the left as you are answering and you’re in trouble. Look to the right and you may be ok.
When it comes to our sin I think our eyes become very shifty too. Let’s just say I have a feeling that when God was questioning Adam and Eve after they ate the fruit they were looking left a lot.
In defense of our sin we often craft reasons or excuses as to why we did what we did. Part of it is self-justification, but in reality it’s just plain old sin-justification so we can do it again or avoid the consequences.
A true pursuit of wisdom and Godliness will place us in front of the mirror of our souls often. What we decide to do with what we see determines how we will grow.
God’s desire is for us to look intently into our lives and destroy the areas that are keeping us apart from Him instead of winking them away as though they are not a big deal.
Solomon again says it best in Proverbs 4:25-27
“Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.
Do no swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.”
We would do well to lock our eyes on Jesus and stay laser focused on our relationship with Him. That way we won’t have to worry about wandering eyes or our wandering soul.