I was talking with a very good friend the other night and he was telling me about what God was challenging him with. It really boiled down to this…"What exactly am I doing in life?". You see, he found himself doing all kinds of stuff, but feeling like he really wasn't doing anything.
Now, to know my friend you must realize that he is an amazing guy with a huge heart and the ability to go from 0-Passionate in like 1.2 seconds. He and I are very much alike. Whether it is sports, causes, MMA, golfing, or (in his case only 🙂 ) gaming when we get excited about something we go hog wild over it! We practice, read blogs, watch interviews, and talk to friends about it constantly with the end goal of trying to master it. After all, we all love to be good at our hobbies.
I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say you can relate. No? Do any of these strike a chord?
- Fantasy Football
- I-Phone Apps
- Practicing guitar
- Facebook (guilty as charged)
- Should I keep going?
The fact is we all do it. We all have areas of interest that get us excited and give us enjoyment. Please hear me out…there is nothing wrong with hobbies except when you are challenged with this thought.
"What if Jesus was your hobby?"
Now for those over-thinkers out there I'm sure you are already shooting holes in this analogy, but just "Simma-down-now" for a second and consider the possibilities.
- What if for one week you put as much energy into reading your Bible as you did checking the stats on your Fantasy Football team?
- What if for just one weekend, you took the time you spent in the mall looking for the next best pair of jeans and spent it serving at the church?
- What if you took all the time you spent updating your Twitter account and went to lunch with a friend to see how they were really doing and ask how you could be praying for them?
- What if you took the time you spent watching the UFC Pay-Per-View fights and volunteered at a local homeless shelter?
- What if for one day you took all the time you spend worrying (yes, that is a hobby) about everything and spent that time praying or inviting a friend to church?
What if following Jesus became your hobby?
I know it is sounds crazy and I'm sure you would be quick to defend yourself in your best Sunday School voice that "Jesus is so much more than a hobby to me!", but if I could account for all your time would Jesus' column have more time allotted to it then your Suduku puzzles?
Enough from me, take it away Paul…
1 Corinthians 15:58 "Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
2 Corinthians 4:18 "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
Philippians 2:21 "For everyone looks our for his own interest, not those of Jesus Christ."
Maybe, just maybe it's time to get a new Hobby?