So I decided to scratch the topic I had in mind for today’s blog and focus in on a quick marital challenge instead. I say quick because let’s face it, most of us don’t have 6 hours a day where we can look longingly into each other’s eyes and talk about our future dreams or write poetry about the other person as they cut wild flowers in the backyard.
Sorry…kinda got a little sick just writing that one.
However, all of us have small bits of time or even just small bits of awareness each day that we can and should dedicate to our spouse. It’s these moments that I want to provide our quick challenge to today.
The Message translation of Ephesians 5 frames our time together well.
Wives, understand and support your husbands in ways that show your support for Christ. – Ephesians 5:22 (MSG)
Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. – Ephesians 5:25 (MSG)
SINGLE PERSON READER PAUSE: If you are single and reading this, don’t stop. Just because you’re not married now doesn’t mean you won’t ever be. In fact, there is about a 90% chance everyone will get married at some point so hang in there. Start making yourself aware early so you avoid later stress.
Ok, so Paul outlines these respect and love dynamics throughout his writings, but especially here in Ephesians. These are God driven realities of who we are as men and women and when they are nurtured the change in our relationships is visible.
However, when relationships go sour it is more times than not that neglect of love or respect contribute to the cause of the issues.
Avoiding these pitfalls early through a disciplined awareness of creating loving and respecting habits is crucial to less time driving around in the car to “cool off” and will greatly reduce your monthly budget of Ibuprofen because your headaches may be fewer.
So here are 5 Tiny Things That Can Make A Huge Difference for both the husbands and the wives out there.
Oh, and DON’T LAUGH at some of them. They may seem simple, but let’s be honest; we make things complex on our own. We don’t need to start complex because believe me we will find a way to get there on our own. 🙂
5 Things Husbands can do TODAY to show love:
- Open the door for her. (car, store, you name it, just pick one)
- Put toothpaste on her toothbrush at night. (I said don’t laugh)
- Text your wife that you love her (Copy and Paste this if you need help… I Love You)
- Ask your wife what 3 things you can do for her next week that would help her out. (and then DO them!)
- Hold her hand when you are out in public (…with no “strings” attached either)
5 Things Wives can do TODAY to show respect:
- Tell him you appreciate what he does and that he is good at it.
- Give him 15 minutes of down time when he comes home from work (stop rolling your eyes)
- Ask him to pray for the meal (if you want your husbands to lead in the home we have to give them opportunities to do it)
- Text him an encouraging message when you know his day may be rough.
- Just hang out on the couch with him and watch what he’s watching. (Key: keep the q’s few 🙂 )
See that wasn’t so bad! I’m willing to bet that if you try these little things you will see a change in your relationships. I also know you also will see a change in you.
When we start to take the focus off of what I need and onto what others need we begin to live life more selflessly and humbly. We begin to live life and have marriages that are more God honoring and that is what we all want deep down.
Ok…what are you waiting for? Go get some toothpaste!