My heart has been troubled recently by the number of marriages that are in crisis. Some are small blips on the radar were one person says something they wish they hadn’t and in 3 days – 1 month they will be fine. However, there are others that seem to be at a breaking point and near the cliff of divorce. These are great people who know what is right and are fighters by nature, but yet it seems that the will to keep going has been zapped from them.
In my quieter moments of prayer, I felt God reminding me to check the calendar. It’s Christmas. The happiest time of the year for Christians as we remember the birth of Emmanuel, God with us. We celebrate, sing songs, watch goofy cartoons on TV, and hoards of people will flock into churches all over the world even if it is just for their yearly pilgrimage. Yet as the holiday cheer is flowing in the worlds of the Believers it is a painful and tortuous reminder to someone else. Satan and his minions of evil.
You see this Christmas is the ultimate reminder of when their battle was lost forever. It reminds them they are doomed for eternity in hell. It reminds the darkness of the world that they will never be able to defeat Light. But unlike some of us, Satan will not go down without a fight. Before Jesus closes the books on Evil for good, Satan is determined to bring as many people as he can down with him.
I believe his greatest and most focused target is marriages and what better time to turn up the heat then around Christmas.
Here are 4 Reasons why I believe Satan wants you to get a divorce this Christmas.
#1 – A Christmas Divorce Will Ruin Future Christmases
If you want a bad, sure fire way to remember a college spring break then get a bad tattoo. If you want a sure fire way to have pain in your future Christmases, then get a Christmas Divorce. Divorce is usually a long term solution to a short term problem. Your future may look bleak right now, but believe me that Satan is lying when he says it will be better if you were divorced. Don’t let Satan fool you, you can make it through!
#2 – A Christmas Divorce Will Destroy Your Kids
One of the saddest things I see is a family torn apart at the holidays. Sure kids of divorced families rake in extra presents at Christmas. Usually it’s because each parent tries to compensate for the lack of quality time they spend with their kids at these times. I’ve yet to hear of a child cry themselves to sleep at night for more Fisher Price stuff, but I do know of kids that would give anything to have their parents back together. Satan wants you to believe that the best gift you can give your kids is for your to be happy. Don’t believe it. Happiness is fleeting but joy comes in the morning for those that trust in God to get them through.
#3 – A Christmas Divorce Fills You With Bitterness and Unforgiveness
A Christmas Divorce will also give you a lump of coal in your spiritual stocking called Bitterness and one of those disgusting green and white candy canes called Unforgiveness. Satan wants you to be as miserable, lonely, depressed, and hopeless as you possible can. Believing that ending your marriage will solve your problems will play right into his hand. Don’t believe his lies! Keep fighting and know that God wants you to work together to get over this hump and you CAN!
#4 – A Christmas Divorce Takes The Focus Off Jesus and Onto You
As I said, before Satan hates Christmas because it is all about Jesus, God’s Son, The Savior of the World, Emmanuel. The entire world seems to turn their attention towards Him this time of year even if just for a moment. Satan hates that. The damage caused within a family from divorce is visible and heart breaking. The damage caused by divorce in your spirit is soul breaking. A Christmas Divorce is allowing Satan to turn your head away from Jesus and onto yourself. It becomes about my needs, my happiness, my future, my satisfaction, and my desires. Christmas is about God giving up His desires for eternal perfection and instead taking on human destruction. What we need to do at Christmas is not throw in the towel, but rather put the towel over our arm an ask “How may I serve you out of love?”
Please know my heart. If you are being abused or are being cheated on I believe God would want you to get you and your kids out of the environment. However that is only 5% of the people in the world I believe. For the other 95% please keep fighting for your marriage. Getting help is not giving up. Getting help is showing true strength by reaching out for counseling, a pastor, a friend to come along side you so you can beat Satan in the face for good. God wants to see your marriage survive and thrive. Let Him in so you can do that.
So keep Christ in Christmas yes, but more importantly keep Christ in your marriage and fight through any struggle you may have knowing that Emmanuel is with you.